A cold fruity smoothie made creamy with non-dairy milk, banana, nuts or nut butter, and even cucumbers or lettuce are a delight as the weather warms and a great way to nourish the body with fruit, veggies, and healthy fats.
Each smoothie makes at least 2 servings and can be stored in the fridge overnight.
1) Dreamy Blueberry Smoothie1 cup soy milk, 1 cup or more blueberries (fresh or frozen), 2 over-ripe bananas (fresh or frozen), heaping spoonful almond butter and a small handful of kale. Blend until smoothe.
3) Green Protein-Powered SmoothieBlend until smoothe: 1.5 cups soy or coconut milk (if canned use 1/2 coconut milk, 1/2 water), 1/2 scoop protein powder (we use Vega’s” performance post-workout chocolate powder but vanilla would add to the tropical flavor), 1/4-1/2 small avocado, 1/2 chopped mango (optional), a big handful of spinach and 1 frozen banana. Enjoy after a workout or as an energy boost. This smoothie will thicken if not consumed right away. Add a touch more liquid and stir or re-blend.
4) Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert Smoothie
Ingredients: 1/2 cup coconut milk + 1/2 cup water, 12 fresh or frozen strawberries, 6 pitted dates (Medjool if possible; soak in boiling water 30 minutes if using a standard blender; save the water), 1/4 cup cashews (pre-soak 4 hours to overnight if using a standard blender) + 1/8 tsp vanilla extract. To make the smoothie: Pour in the liquids. If dates were pre-soaked, use this water to replace regular water for a sweeter taste. Add dates, cashews (drain the soaking water), strawberries and extract then blend until smoothe. The smoothie will be warm if not using frozen berries so place in fridge until cold. Top with coconut flakes, sliced strawberries and crushed cashews or almonds or even vegan graham cracker crumbles.
5) Chocolate Heaven
Blend: 1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond or coconut), 1 spoonful almond or peanut butter, 2-3 TBS fresh or frozen raspberries, 1 TBS cocoa or cacao powder, 1 TBS maple or agave syrup, 1 tsp hemp seed, 1-2 frozen, ripe bananas. Great post-workout smoothie or served as a dessert.
6) Banana Coconut Cream DessertBlend until smoothe: 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk + 1/2 cup water, 2 heaping spoonfuls almond or peanut butter, 3-4 frozen ripe bananas, 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (optional). Top with vegan vanilla wafer crumbles or blueberries.
Learn how to turn this into a breakfast smoothie bowl by watching The Domestic Geek’s version on YouTube.
8) Strawberry Banana Smoothie Blend until smoothe: 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk + 1/2 cup water (or 1 cup non-dairy milk), 1 TBS oats, 1 spoonful almond or peanut butter, 3 pitted dates (optional, for added sweetness), 1-2 chopped frozen bananas, + 7 strawberries. Top with granola for crunch.
9. Hydrating Super Green Smoothie2 cups water, 3-5 peeled & chopped 🍊oranges, 1 peeled & diced cucumber, handful of fresh basil + 2 handfuls of fresh kale, 5-6 frozen 🍓strawberries. Blend until smoothe. Makes 2 very large servings. Enjoy!
10. Glowing Green Smoothie2 cups ice water, 2 oranges peeled & chopped, 1 diced apple, big handful of spinach & 2 big handfuls of romaine lettuce, 5-7 frozen or fresh strawberries. Blend in batches until smoothe & creamy. Very filling & healthy!
…🍌To freeze bananas🍌: Peel and chop over-ripe bananas then place in a freezer-safe container overnight. They should last in the freezer up to 3 months.
…Note on blending: I have listed the ingredients in order of blender placement. Blending a few ingredients (chopping into small pieces) then adding the rest helps if the blender is not high-powered. For a good smoothie demo on the Vitamix versus a standard blender, watch Diana Stobo’s video (with 2 delicious smoothie recipes).
More smoothies from around the web:
It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken’s 10 healthy dessert smoothies
Minimalist Baker’s 12 simple, healthy smoothies
18 healthy vegan smoothies from Healthful Pursuit
High-protein vegan smoothies using nuts, seeds and oats (created by Brendan Brazier) in Shape’s online magazine
🌞Like The Colorful Vegan on Facebook for more recipe ideas🌻.